All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Kefir cure diabetes?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:19 am 

I just found a link that said in 200 Type 2 diabetics, 85% of them returned to normal blood glucose levels after drinking 3 cups kefir a day for 1 month. WOW! I may have to try this!

Link here.. http://kefirbening.com/index.php?option ... g&Itemid=9

I am not type 2 diabetic yet, but Ive had Pre-diabetes, and gestational diabetes 3x. So I am very high risk for it.

Ive been doing kefir at home with store bought milk (dont have a source for raw milk at this time but maybe could ask some Amish farmers?)

Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:20 pm

Post subject: Re: Kefir cure diabetes?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:41 pm 

I think there is probably more to it than just drinking kefir, you still have to change/fix what is the root problem causing the diabetes (type 2) in the first place. I agree that drinking kefir is beneficial for our bodies but one of the things I discovered is that it still raises my blood sugars pretty good (I should have known that because milk has quite a bit of carbohydrates in it).

I read this article from Dr. Mercola the other day, http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... betes.aspx . What caught my attention was this section:

"Type 2 diabetes is a fully preventable, reversible condition that arises from faulty leptin signaling and insulin resistance. Therefore, diabetes can be controlled or reversed by recovering your insulin and leptin sensitivities. The only known way to reestablish proper leptin and insulin signaling is through a proper diet and exercise! There is NO drug that can accomplish this!

A new meta-analysis of 13 randomized controlled trials involving more than 33,000 people showed that drug treatment of type 2 diabetes is not only ineffective, it's dangerous as well. Treatment with glucose-lowering drugs actually showed the potential to increase your risk of death from heart-related and all other causes.

So what is the other key to remember in diabetes prevention, aside from exercise?

Your diet!

Your diet can make or break you if you're diabetic or pre-diabetic, but unfortunately for the last 50 years or so, Americans have followed the dietary recommendations of a high complex carbohydrate, low saturated fat diet—the exact opposite of what actually works! High complex carbohydrates include legumes, potatoes, corn, rice and grain products. Aside from legumes, you actually want to AVOID all the rest to prevent insulin resistance.

If you regularly consume sugars and grains, your blood sugar spikes will lead to increased insulin resistance, which leads to increased fat storage. The extra fat then produces more leptin. The problem arises when your leptin levels become chronically elevated. At this point, you become leptin resistant—your body can no longer "hear" the hormonal signals telling your brain you're full and should stop eating.

As your fat stores increase, your weight goes up, and insulin resistance sets in. Now your body has become "deaf" to the signals from both hormones (leptin and insulin), and disease follows -- one of which is diabetes. Nearly all type 2 diabetics need to swap out their grains and sugars for other foods, such as protein, green veggies and healthy sources of fat. You will want to take special care to eliminate fructose, which is far more detrimental than any other type of sugar. This is extremely important!

Drinking just one sweetened drink a day can raise your diabetes risk by 25 percent compared to drinking one sugary drink per month, so you really need to evaluate your diet and look for hidden sources of sugar and fructose.

This also means avoiding most processed foods of all kinds, as they are loaded with fructose. You may even need to avoid fruits until your blood sugar is under control. I strongly advise keeping your total fructose consumption below 25 grams per day. However, it would be wise for most people to limit fructose to 15 grams or less as it is virtually guaranteed you will be getting "hidden" sources of fructose from just about any processed food you eat."

I have also been reading a book "The Schwarzbein Principle" by Diana Schwarzbein, M.D. and Nancy Deville. Dr. Schwarzbein says pretty much the same thing as Dr. Mercola does. It is pretty interesting. She goes into a lot of detail about how our bodies digest sugars (carbohydrates) and how it all works. I have type 1 diabetes and have to give insulin manually so I wonder if that changes how things work inside my body. :)

All this to say there is no one thing to "cure" type 2 diabetes. It takes going against what the world tells us is okay (the SAD diet) and doing the things that we are learning on this site.

I am really bad with my communication skills...I hope this doesn't come across as rude. Please let me know if it does.

~~Sherri

Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:15 pm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:19 pm 

GREAT info, Sherri! I agree 100%! And along with Mercola and Schwartzbein (sp), there are plenty of others saying the same thing about Type 2 diabetes including one of my favorites of late, Nora Gedgaudas of www.PrimalBody-PrimalMind.com and author of the book titled the same as the website (minus the .com). This is the same info I learned at the Weston A. Price Foundation Conference last year, too. If things jive with the WAPF, then I have a lot of faith in them.

Interesting testimony of a man friend: when he was about 45, his diabetes got so bad he actually went BLIND for several days and was in the hospital. As soon as his vision came back, he started researching all the above folks, totally changed his diet to one of mostly meat and vegetables, and now no longer has to take insulin and has no health problems.

--Nancy

Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:12 pm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:37 am 

Diet is incredibly important, I agree. But Diabetes is conncected to the probiotics in our gut too, proven by studies.

I get confused with all the different diets. You've got weston price, youve got Dr Brewer, youve got GAPS, Shwarzenbein, Bernstien, low glycemic index, high fiber, ect ect,

Confusing! How do I know which one is "right"

Right now I am focusing on gradually getting my diet healthier. Green smoothies. See the book Green Smoothie Revolution. Kefir, butter olive oil instead of margarine, ect.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:20 pm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:43 pm 

You are doing GREAT, Herbs Girl! Definitely moving your diet in the right direction! It's like homeschooling yourself, isn't it, wading through all the info and trying to learn and change all on top of doing the rest of real life? I think it's a never-ending process, but isn't that what real education is anyway--a never-ending learning adventure?!

A lot of the diets you mentioned are actually saying the same basic thing about the need to eat nutrient-dense, properly prepared foods as taught by the Weston A. Price Foundation. But then you get into the need for temporary and sometimes permanent alterations to help various health situations, especially gut health. Just watch out for the other main health camp which pushes lots of fiber and water and low-fat and oftentimes, even vegetarian. If you ever look up stuff on www.curezone.com, that's what you'll find. They are big followers of Dr. Richard Schultze, a pro-vegetarian naturopath who has great healing suggestions, but then sadly, follows them up with the vegetarian diet. Check this article out: http://www.westonaprice.org/vegetariani ... etarianism

If you are working yourself off a typical (standard) American diet, some of the authors you mentioned can be pretty heavy duty different. Just cutting out the junk and adding in healthy fats is going to help you so much. Then you can work on learning all the other particulars a little at a time. Keep up the good work! -- Nancy

Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:12 pm