All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Soapers Choice oil - can we be sure?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:57 pm 

edited to save reader's time : ) (taking off from where the previous CO thread left off!) :lol:

Please visit my natural health column - new articles 3x weekly.

http://www.examiner.com/x-33807-Detroit-Natural-Family-Living-Examiner

Last edited by Christine on Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:20 pm

Post subject: Re: Soapers Choice oil - can we be sure?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:14 pm 

All I can say is that you should ask your questions directly to the Manufacturer. They are bound by law to tell the truth regarding their products and the manufacturing details. Every time I have contacted them with questions they have been very forth coming and honest about their various oils, not beating around the bush or deceptive at all. Getting it from anybody except the manufacturer pretty much constitutes hearsay at best and just like the "Telephone" game things tend to get distorted or mis understood the more times it passes hands.

So, anyway, Yeah, that is what I would recommend. Give 'em a call directly and bombard them with all your questions! :mrgreen:

Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:26 am

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:17 pm 

Well, yes. I totally agree STeph! And a very good philosophy. : )

The trouble is it seems people are getting info which conflicts with the info I had gotten last summer when I first researched this, and it also conflicts with what you found, when you recommended them (I'm so glad you did - their price is about half!!)

Here is the info and source:

Soapers Choice: it was brought my attention a while back, and again recently, that there is another much cheaper brand of virgin organic coconut oil available, distributed under the

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:18 pm 

Oh! Any idea what the grey stringy stuff was??! It wasnt noticible until I sat my pail in a sink of warm water, wanting to pour it into my smaller container near the stove. Once it liquified I saw the stringy stuff. I hated to waste some of the oil. :?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:24 pm 

" They are bound by law to tell the truth regarding their products and the manufacturing details."

Just wanted to thank you for this, Stef. I did not know this was a law! Good to know. : )

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:29 pm 

Christine wrote:
" They are bound by law to tell the truth regarding their products and the manufacturing details."

Just wanted to thank you for this, Stef. I did not know this was a law! Good to know. : )

Well, I should probably clarify that. They are not bound by law to be full disclosure, but they are bound by law that what they DO disclose, that it be accurate. For instance a label might say "and less than 1% preservatives" without telling you exactly what those preservatives are. They are not bound by law to tell you, however if they DO tell you "Contains less than 1% XYZ Preservatives" they are bound by law to correctly identify and disclose what XYZ is.

Soapers Choice has the freedom to not answer certain questions, but they are not allowed to give false information. However, I have found them more than willing to answer any question I have ever put to them. Just wanted to clarify that what information/data they give you there is a strong legal motivation on their part for it to be accurate, even if they were not a trustworthy/honorable company (Which my experience with them has led me to believe that they are.) :)

I would also ask them about the gray stringy stuff you discovered. They would know better than anybody else what it might be. If you find out please post your response here! I would appreciate knowing myself. Haven't noticed that with their oil before that I have gotten so don't have any personal insights to give you. The only theory I have is that perhaps with the minimal refining/virgin pressing some of the coconut matter/substance also comes out with the oil and without the refining of high heat doesn't get burned off like more refined versions of it would. It is probably also heavier matter than oil which would account for it being on the bottom with the oil on the top. I know that they get the oil in large drums and then repackage it into the yellow containers. I am thinking that perhaps your bottle this time was filled from near the bottom of the drum? This is all 100% speculation and theory on my part! :mrgreen: Would love to hear from them what it actually is.

In regards to the posted information conflicting from two different time periods...The source of the oil might have changed, the processing done with it could have changed, anything could have changed. Most companies do not notify their customers when they make changes like that. We occasionally are forced for some reason or another to make slight modifications to our vitamin formulations and it is still sold under the same label (with updated nutritional/content facts of course!). Probably not a bad idea to hear from them what the "real deal" story is currently.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:26 am

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:45 pm 

I am interested in hearing what you hear back from them. Let us know!! :)

We are not medical professionals and are not qualified to give medical advice. We are happy to share our personal experiences, any personal research and our opinions, but this is never to take the place of your own research and counsel of your Doctor.

Fri May 30, 2008 11:57 pm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:56 pm 

I'm interested in their reply as well.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:57 pm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:41 pm 

Since they carry more than one kind of coconut oil (and they seem to change the kinds they carry sometimes), I'm wondering if the problem of getting different answers, could be either from not being REALLY clear about exactly which version of the oil you want info on, or maybe the person on the other end is not being careful and is giving information for the wrong kind by mistake.

WR

Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:48 pm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:43 am 

That is exactly what I was wondering, WhiteRock.

Steph, I'm glad I asked this (even if you all are sick of my obsessing, lol)! I actually hadn't even considered that you would be able to answer regarding industry standards and law, etc, of course! So everything you have told me, so far, only reinforces that this product seems, to me, identical to the Nutiva and Mountain Rose Herb (and other) XV CO I was using previous.

Regarding the grey icky stuff: :lol: I found this several months after opening my yellow container, allowing it to liquify in a sinkful of warm water (sealed, of course), and pouring into my Mountain Rose gallon bucket. I had actually warmed 2 of the yellow gallons I received, and poured all of one and some of another into the bucket, along with another container or two (the idea being, I typically scoop our (solid) oil, and pouring is never convenient (our home is almost never that warm, being in MI.)

Everything was fine....but as I opened the MR bucket the final time, to retreive the final amount of solid oil, when I warmed it (to pour into a smaller container - too much warming??) once it was liquid grey stringy icky things were floating around in it. :shock: They had not been apparent when the oil was solid......nor was there any grey in the solid chunk that had not liquified.

My theory is that perhaps some dust or mold or something - had collected on the interior walls of the almost empty (covered) bucket.....I wasn't terribly concerned about it, because it seems that anything that sits for so long will gather something on it, lol.....and I know CO is antibacterial/fungal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:17 pm 

I know this may sound silly.... but could it have been pieces of the sealant from around the top of the bucket? IIRC, the Mountain Rose buckets are sealed with gooey gray stuff under the rim of the lid.

WR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:36 pm 

I don't think it was that, Whiterock. I had used this bucket before, washed it out, etc.

Since I couldn't notice/see it while the oil was solid, and then noticed it in the liquid areas, I think it was dust (or mold?) on the top of the oil, which mixed in when it liquified, and sticking together in threads, became visable. I'm just guessing, though!

Whiterock wrote:
I know this may sound silly.... but could it have been pieces of the sealant from around the top of the bucket? IIRC, the Mountain Rose buckets are sealed with gooey gray stuff under the rim of the lid.

WR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:55 pm 

Have they given you an answer?

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:57 pm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:14 pm 

Not to my 2nd email asking for the highest temp. the oil is processed at. I'll resend it, thanks for the reminder.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:57 pm 

did you ever get a reply?

Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:54 am

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:34 pm 

No. But I've since re-ordered. I have been content with the oil so far. It tastes, smells and looks exactly like other unrefined virgin COs we've bought.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:40 pm 

I've been happy with their coconut oil too.

WR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:22 am 

Same here.

We are not medical professionals and are not qualified to give medical advice. We are happy to share our personal experiences, any personal research and our opinions, but this is never to take the place of your own research and counsel of your Doctor.

Fri May 30, 2008 11:57 pm