All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Healing after miscarriage
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:20 pm 

I was wondering if anyone had any helpful information to share about healing after miscarriage with the hope of maximizing your health so that the next pregnancy has the best chance possible?

I have been taking Red Raspberry Leaves, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin E, Prenatal Vitamins, and Propolis. I am thinking about doing some cleanses and maybe a juice fast. But I am just not sure where to start. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:01 pm

Post subject: Re: Healing after miscarriage
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:15 am 

I have had three separate miscarriages the last being twins which adds up to four children I am looking forward to meeting one of these days!

We have since been blessed with our sweet girl who is about 14 months old.

I was tested for everything under the sun to try to figure out what was causing my body to be unable to carry a pregnancy. Even the extensive blood tests all came back within a normal range for the 22 different potential underlying causes they were looking for. Other than overall improvements to my diet there were only two major things I did differently between the pregnancy that I lost the twins and the pregnancy that I was able to see through to the end. I did an herbal full body cleanse that I think was very effective and also used a topical natural Progesterone Cream. Although my progesterone levels tested fine for the previous pregnancies the Dr. told me that it would not cause any harm and in his words "Who knows? Some women need higher than normal levels in order to maintain a pregnancy and you might be one of them."

It sounds like what you are doing is great! If I had it to go back over I would do a water only fast for a minimum of 5 days instead of the herbal cleanse. I think it would have given me even more benefits and a more complete cleanse than even the herbs did.

When I get pregnant again I definitely plan on using the Progesterone Cream as a precautionary measure and also just focusing on keeping my diet as healthy/nutritious as possible.

Praying for you.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:26 am

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:29 am 

I'd like to hear more (or I guess read more) about fasting in order to cleanse for pregnancy. I miscarried last September and I'm trying to get super healthy before we try again. My goals have been to lose 30 pounds and load up on folic acid and other vitamins (via supermom). I suppose cleansing should be a part of that process, but when and how? Say I'd like to get pregnant in the winter...do I cleanse now? Or closer to the hopeful pregnancy?
I've never even thought of adding a super-duper cleanse to the whole getting ready thing! Thank you for mentioning that!

Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:57 pm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:28 pm 

It is my personal belief that a cleanse or fast of any sort should be done only after careful evaluation. There can be so many underlying triggers for miscarriage it is wise to sit down and evaluate your body, your diet, your overall health history etc. I knew I was a very "Toxic" person having been on many prescription medications growing up and not having a very healthy diet for years. When your body is overloaded with toxins it can make it impossible to carry a pregnancy to term. The thing about cleansing is that as helpful as it can be when your system is overloaded with toxins, you have to realize that it also depletes your nutritional resources as well. In my personal opinion it is wise to do a cleanse first and give yourself at least two months of nutrient dense diet and supplements to rebuild your nutritional stores as much as possible before getting pregnant.

I believe some women's miscarriages are contributed to by insufficient nutritional resources in their bodies due to being "tapped out" from either previous pregnancies, years of nursing and/or illness. For these women I would NOT recommend fasting or cleansing because it will only serve to further deplete their bodies thus making the situation worse instead of better.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:46 pm 

I had a miscarriage just over 2 years ago. I was determined to find out WHY (not that we can always know). I had my thyroid tested, a hormone panel done (saliva, not blood, as it's more accurate) and was tested for food sensitivities. I had low progesterone (basically none) and lots of food sensitivities.

I totally changed my diet and started using progesterone cream. I conceived a few months later and now have an almost one year old.

Food sensitivities can lead to hormonal imbalance and I felt so much better when I started avoided the foods that I needed to not be eating.

But sometimes, miscarriage just happens. Sometimes, it's something that was actually wrong with the egg or the sperm before conception and it's nothing about your health.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:40 pm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:20 am 

I miscarried one child at 14 weeks gestation. I'm sorry for your loss. :| For me, the healing I was in need of was emotional. I hope my story helps somebody, these many years later.

A couple helpful things were reading Ps. 139 (I had actually just memorized it, in God's gracious timing.) It helped to give myself lots of time to process things, too. It would have been very useful to understand that sometimes the body takes a long time to abort the remains of a miscarried pregnancy. The most difficult for me, was carrying the child I had lost for a couple weeks - and somehow, my OB and midwife (we homebirth) did not get it across to us, that sometimes it takes many weeks - I resorted surgery (D&C). It helped restore my peace immediately - but I do wish I had more information about the process of miscarriage (that it can take weeks or even months, and still be 'normal.')

Also, especially helpful, was understanding that a miscarriage (in my midwife's view) is a healthy body's reaction to a problem pregnancy. I felt God was gracious in choosing to take our little one home in the timing He selected.

The pain subsides. It can take many years.

HTH.

Please visit my natural health column - new articles 3x weekly.

http://www.examiner.com/x-33807-Detroit-Natural-Family-Living-Examiner

Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:20 pm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:11 pm 

HouseMouse wrote:
Also, especially helpful, was understanding that a miscarriage (in my midwife's view) is a healthy body's reaction to a problem pregnancy. I felt God was gracious in choosing to take our little one home in the timing He selected.
HTH.

Reading this was such an encouragement. Sometimes its SO hard to keep that in mind. Thank you!

Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:57 pm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:38 pm 

Hi,

I had a miscarriage that lasted from April to the end of June. Now, around mid July I had what I am assuming is my period-- which has lasted two weeks so far. Should I call my gyn, or is this possibly normal after miscarriage? Any suggestions, advice would be great. Thanks for reading.

Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:21 pm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:07 am 

Hi CindyK, so sorry to hear of your loss! :|

When you say that the miscarriage lasted from April to the end of June do you mean bleeding from the miscarriage or the actual pregnancy and then you miscarried? This does sound as though what you are experiencing could just be a very heavy period. I do not think it is "normal" for our bodies to do that but what is normal about a body recovering from miscarriage? So difficult to say what is totally alright and what is cause for concern. I would suggest that you call your Dr. and touch base with the office and see if it is something they want to see you about. I experienced a very heavy cycle after a couple of my miscarriages. I personally chalked it up to my body still needing to "clean house" somewhat and that being what caused the extra flow.

Make sure you are eating plenty of leafy greens and foods high in natural irons and get as much rest as you can! I was terrible in allowing myself to recognize my bodies need to recover physically after my miscarriages. My recovery was much faster and better when I did prioritize resting and eating as I should.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:48 am 

Oh, I'm so glad it was helpful, littlewife. There is particular information that was a real *comfort* to me personally, that I'm concerned might actually seem hurtful, from another grieving mom's point of view? In the beginning, an offer for counsel offended me - a nurse friend asked if I had considered joining a miscarriage 'group' for a while? That terribly offended me! (As IF I couldn't 'handle' it?) But later, I understood - she knew the road ahead would be a struggle. It didn't all 'hit' me at one time.

I remember it was raining and our dc were at grandma's the day dh took me for the ultrasound I kept begging for. He took time off work, and bought the video camera. But when we got to the office, he decided to leave the camera, in the car....I remember thinking, he knows deep down also, this child will not make it. This won't be a happy time to video tape.

Later at home, having been told the little one within me would never grow larger or be born, I put on dh's big leather coat, and just walked the neighborhood in the grey rain. My husbands warm, heavy coat, and God's grey, soft rain, were a comfort to me.

As the days passed, I remember feeling broken, submitted, and not in a frame of mind to argue with God. He gives, He takes away - blessed is HIS name. He is my God and Redeemer: He gets to call the shots. But, in the midst of His total authority and control of the details of my life....He is a compassionate and loving Father. I am the treasure of His eye, whom He gave ALL for, and spared not a thing to redeem. He knows the pain of loosing a grown child....His only son.

All this was just so comforting to my broken spirit, and slowly restored me. Submitting to HIS control, restores me, refreshes and resurrects me.

I also wondered 'why' (of course) He chose not to allow me to birth this little one, and bring him or her to my breast to nourish? Why did He refuse to let me see that precious little face?

In His mercy, I believe He was sparing me far greater pain...but that is just my own personal conviction, for that particular child. We knew from the ultrasound that something was terribly wrong and the baby did not develop normally.

I had hoped to raise and introduce that new little soul to Jesus Christ one day...but as it turns out, my child already knows Him intimately, and will have the pleasure of introducing *me* to my Saviour and Lord God - face to face.

I pray my thoughts are helpful and not at all more hurtful, to any reader.

littlewife wrote:
HouseMouse wrote:
HTH.

Reading this was such an encouragement. Sometimes its SO hard to keep that in mind. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:06 am 

I read this post with intrest since I too miscarried three times. I weep when I think on my babies in the arms of Jesus.
I was able to carry a heathy prenancy after I started thyroid meds, progesterone cream and a high dose of folic acid. I have learned that according to your lab reports, your hormone (in my case thyroid) levels may appear normal but a N.D. would start to treat long before an M.D. would. Shonda Parker's Naturaly Healthy Woman gave me the healthy numbers which I could take to my N.D. along with my normal looking lab report. I am on Westhroid and pregnant again. I am taking 1/4 tsp pregesterone cream vaginally twice a day and praying that everything will go well. I think once you misscarry, you can never rest easy until that baby is here. I struggle with shutting my heart down because it is just too painful to love and then lose.

Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:53 am

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:52 pm 

Hi! I too miscarried a baby on 10/31/07. This was my and my husband's first baby and we were 15 1/2 weeks when we lost our little one. We have been trying ever since with no success. Part of me wonders what I am doing wrong. I try to eat healthy but I hate to cook and my mother never taught me how so I dont cook. I would like to start cooking and eating healthier but I want to start a little at a time. I have a bread machine but I dont use it.
I am in a health safety and nutrition course at college and its been a bit of an inspiration to get healthier. But where do I start? My doctor says I am healthy but I am not ovulating so she had me on clomid. That didnt work and the side effects were horrible, so I am currently trying soy isoflavones but I dont think its going to work. Also she said that I wasnt ovulating based on my bbt charts and didnt even test my hormone levels and insisted that I didnt have enough for pregnancy to occur.
Does anyone have any suggestions to where I could start?

Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:27 pm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:39 pm 

Littlemama and Ellarie, my heart aches for you and the little ones you have lost. I know the One who is caring for them is giving them so much love. I pray that your hearts and your bodies recover. Thinking of you both tonight.

~Paul's Steph

We are not medical professionals and are not qualified to give medical advice. We are happy to share our personal experiences, any personal research and our opinions, but this is never to take the place of your own research and counsel of your Doctor.

Fri May 30, 2008 11:57 pm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 pm 

Ellarie, I'm sorry for your loss.

I would insist on getting my hormone levels tested. When you find out your levels you should be able to tell what you need to supplement with. There is a great book called "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Toni Weshler, if you can I'd buy this book it is full of information on NFP. It is great for charting and then being able to determine where a problem lies.

My husband and I tried for about a year and a half to have our second baby with no luck. Within a week of charting I discovered my temps. were low, which indicates low progesterone levels, so I began taking a multi vit. that had herbs to help balance hormones and within three weeks got pregnant.

Hope that helps. Blessings.
Jess

Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:12 pm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:22 pm 

I too, am so, so sorry for your losses. The advise about having your hormones tested (and vitamin levels) is excellent. I suggest finding a D.O., and/or nutritionist who can work with you. A D.O. would be a bit less pharmeceutically minded.

Using fertility drugs for conception is definitely a breast (and possibly other) cancer risk - make sure you do your research before going that route.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:50 am 

Jess,
I have the book TCOYF by Toni,,,thats how I learned to chart :P. I absolutely hated clomid. It gave me the weirdest side effect! I would get the sudden urge to use the rest room (even after already going) and I would dribble a little :oops: It only happened when I was on the clomid. Right now I am doing a few things to help since my doc wont. I am 1)Focusing on others and not myself.2)Getting invloved with other church activities.3)Reading my Bible more and praying....there are more but those are just a few.

I do have an appointment with a new doctor on the 22nd of this month. Or the 20th..anyway he deals with infertility issues and he is open to natural methods if the patient wants to go that route instead of modern.

Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:27 pm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:25 am 

I post my story on the pregnancy supplements board but have a few questions to ask over here. I began to miscarry about 5/6 weeks ago, bleeding and spotting and I past a large blood clot that was the thickness of liver. Sorry for TMI. I've continued to spot/bleed until this past Friday when I started to bleed heavier and started having cramps. I passed the baby that afternoon. It was still in it's sac of water and you could tell it was about 5/6 weeks along, when I started the bleeding. It was pretty amazing in so many ways to be able to see God's work that isn't normally seen. My little one was tucked away in it's little home. We buried her, I say her because I strong feelings she was a girl, in our garden. We spend a lot of time out there and thought it was the perfect place for her.

I am not bleeding and only spotting a little now so I really want to build myself up. I am currently taking:
Prenatal
Extra B complex
RRL caps.
Aloe gel caps.
Tummy Tune Up
Digestive Enzymes
Drinking Beet Kvass
Cal/Mag
Omega 369's
Vit. E

I started using Beeyoutiful Balance and was wondering if I should keep using it, even when my cycle returns? I know I have low progesterone because I have low waking temps. I have to get back to charting but I know they were low before I got pregnant. I'd like to continue with the cream because I have a feeling that is part of the reason for loosing the baby. BTW, the cream smells sooooo good! Wish there was a lotion that I could use all over. Hint hint. :)

Also, do you think it would be wise to add chlorophyll to me regime because I bleed for so long? I don't have trouble with low iron but I have bleed for awhile. Can you get too much chlorophyll?

Does anyone know how long it is recommended to wait to try and conceive again? I'd like to build myself up but I really don't want to wait too long.

Sorry for the lot of questions but I really love the feel of this forum and the information I have found. Everyone is wonderful.
Thanks!
Jess

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:48 am 

Hi Jess. My OB and my (lay) midwife told me that it is pretty standard to want to see 3 healthy, normal cycles in a row, before conceiving again - just to be sure everything is back to normal functioning.

It does sound as if your miscarriage was complete and you are not having any problems with excessive bleeding, etc. You do want to be sure that your body has not retained any of the miscarriage (which the 3 normal cycles would indicate.)

I remember having a hard time 'waiting' (and I think I conceived before 3 cycles.) :roll:

Vitamin E is a blood thinner. While it is good to build up your blood with some Vit. E, I personally would keep the dose to the RDA right now (or even forego supplementing E for now).

Red clover is also a blood thinner, if you happen to drink that as tea or take it as a supplement.

Are you talking about having heavy or long cycles? (The bleeding 'too much'?) If so, you will find it helpful to take any combination of ginger, sage, cinnamon and/or raspberry (what ever you have!) right before your cycle begins, and the first 2 or 3 days. These all will slow 'Aunt Flo' down, but not extend your cycle. These herbs can reduce the amount of blood you lose as well, from my research - which leads me to believe they may help with iron loss monthly.

Regarding chlorophyll, I currently take it (as I feel it is harmless), but I have not personally experienced enough of 'it's' claims to be convinced it does all the miraculous things that have been attributed to it. Many of the claims are from our pre-antibiotic years (like, 100 years back) and I am still researching if they actually have any truth behind them. :roll: I haven't found a study yet that has convinced me (maybe someone here can direct me?)

I did try chlorophyll to 'reduce' Aunt Flo last month....and noticed no significant change - perhaps the normal dose, 2x daily, was not sufficient. I quickly went back to my old stand-by, Ginger, and also some Sage (I have a tincture which is quick to take on the way out!) Those have both worked consistently for me the last year and a half, to keep life 'managable'. :oops:

sunshine4th wrote:
Also, do you think it would be wise to add chlorophyll to me regime because I bleed for so long? I don't have trouble with low iron but I have bleed for awhile. Can you get too much chlorophyll?

Does anyone know how long it is recommended to wait to try and conceive again? I'd like to build myself up but I really don't want to wait too long.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:45 am 

My cycles are usually short and not very heavy. But, I was just worried about the 5 weeks of bleeding from the miscarriage to build up my iron. That is a long time to bleed.

I didn't know vit. E was a blood thinner. I know that it is good for building up the body's cells and read that it is helpful after a miscarriage. Since I'm not bleeding very much, I'm not too worried about it.

Thanks for the herbal combination. You are a wealth of knowledge! :) I love to learn new things.

Thanks for the 3 cycles. I don't think that is too long to wait. I really would like to build my body up first. I know I'll be chomping at the bit at the end of three months but it took us a year and a half to conceive this little one. With my 2 year old, we get pregnant on our first attempt. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:12 pm 

sunshine4th wrote:
I started using Beeyoutiful Balance and was wondering if I should keep using it, even when my cycle returns? I know I have low progesterone because I have low waking temps. I have to get back to charting but I know they were low before I got pregnant. I'd like to continue with the cream because I have a feeling that is part of the reason for loosing the baby. BTW, the cream smells sooooo good! Wish there was a lotion that I could use all over. Hint hint. :)

Sorry for the lot of questions but I really love the feel of this forum and the information I have found. Everyone is wonderful.
Thanks!
Jess

Yes, I would continue using Beeyoutiful Balance even after your miscarriage. I would go back to the premenopause regimen of taking it two weeks before you start your next cycle and then stopping when you start.

Yes, I would add the chlorophyll to your daily regimen. It should help to build your hemoglobin levels and to help replenish your blood supply. Yes, 5-6 weeks is a long time to be bleeding. I would definitely add it. You will know you have taken too much chlorophyll when you notice a change in your stool. Constipation is an indication of too much.

No question is ever silly when it comes to helping us understand our health. The more we understand, the better we can take care of ourselves and our families.

We are not medical professionals and are not qualified to give medical advice. We are happy to share our personal experiences, any personal research and our opinions, but this is never to take the place of your own research and counsel of your Doctor.

Fri May 30, 2008 11:57 pm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:48 pm 

If you are seeking emotional healing after miscarriage, I highly recommend the miscarriage forum at hannah.org. The ladies there chatted with me through my two miscarriages in 2000, and my 3 successful pregnancies since.

Christine, soon after one of my miscarriages, a woman shared with me something similiar to your statement about a problem pregnancy, and I was really hurt. I felt like she was saying she thought it was better to lose a baby than to raise a handicapped child. Women certainly find comfort (and hurt) in different places, don't they? (And I know you don't mean it that way--I only speak up now because I didn't speak up then, and I wish I had.)

Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:52 pm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:15 pm 

Oh, I see. My OB (when I miscarried) told me the *only* time to be concerned is if you fill an entire maxi pad in less than 30 minutes: that would be hemorraging (even during the miscarriage itself.) I recall he told me to just feel free to sit on the toilet and let everything pass, (I was getting very freaked out after 2 weeks about what I might see). He was very comforting that it was all quite normal and my body could handle it etc.

We do not eat organ meats - but if you do, I would eat liver a few times in the next couple weeks. (Or other organ meats.) Lots and lots of leafy greens with orange juice and other high-C fruits (increases absortion) or a liquid green iron suppliment from the health food store (refrigerated) like Swedish Bitters, etc.

This is silly, but around the same time as me, a friend at church had miscarried. It was quite unexpected, in fact, she was in her own bathroom, and had miscarried right 'there'. She had called her dh, who was also kind of surprised/shocked, who promptly took their miscarried baby and put the precious tiny stillborn miscarried baby's body, about 9 weeks, in his suit coat pocket. They went to the ER that way. :oops:

They both had quite a laugh about it later, and said that it was such a comfort that God allowed his 'blunder' in his shock - as their laughter with the nurses over it, was so very healing and uplifting. I remember them telling us. (I pray this doesn't offend - this was a very pro-family couple with many children. It didn't seem at *all* sacreligious or anything when they told me.)

I didn't know vit. E was a blood thinner. I know that it is good for building up the body's cells and read that it is helpful after a miscarriage. Since I'm not bleeding very much, I'm not too worried about it.

I wouldn't either. I took Vit. E before each delivery (not excessive amounts) as my midwife directed me too. I would definitely take iodine and cod liver oil (vit. D) now, before and during pregnancy. After too for lactation.

With my 2 year old, we get pregnant on our first attempt. :)

Sounds like you have Hope! :D

Last edited by Christine on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:19 pm 

I am sure she didn't. My midwife was a sister in Christ, and was comforting me. I remember she was specific about saying, 'I know it is very painful to YOU, but from my standpoint as a midwife, I see this as a healthy body's response to a problem pregnancy.' I definitely took comfort in the way she told me. Because, I was asking if I could hope to get pregnant again. I was looking for encouragement for the future. ;) I think in my grief (before the actual miscarriage, but after I knew my baby was no longer living) I was a bit dilusional with fear and grief. I remember being afraid the baby would never come out - that I'd never again have a chance to conceive....this is the context. It was a great comfort just to hear, this is a healthy, normal thing.

I'm sorry that a similar comment was hurtful to you, grandsophy. I remember taking offense when a nurse friend suggested I check out a grief support group, too. :lol: Now I have no problem with it - but at the time, I felt she was critisizing how I was handling it or something. :roll:

grandsophy wrote:
Christine, soon after one of my miscarriages, a woman shared with me something similiar to your statement about a problem pregnancy, and I was really hurt. I felt like she was saying she thought it was better to lose a baby than to raise a handicapped child. Women certainly find comfort (and hurt) in different places, don't they? (And I know you don't mean it that way--I only speak up now because I didn't speak up then, and I wish I had.)