All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Homemade DishWASHER Detergent
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:06 pm 

One of the most toxic things most all of us have in our homes and handle regularly these days is our dishwasher detergent. What's really scary is that sometimes, at least in the old dishwasher we have, the soap doesn't always dissolve all the way and so sometimes there can be residue left on the dishes. When our family is working so hard on the GAPS Diet to heal leaky guts and detox, that's the last thing we need! I just found a great recipe for homemade dishwasher detergent that is cheap AND effective and easy to mix as well. Check out this link: http://www.diynatural.com/simple-effect ... nse-agent/

Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:12 pm

Post subject: Re: Homemade DishWASHER Detergent
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:48 am 

I like the idea of homemade dishwashing detergent, but it doesn't seem to work well over long periods of time for us. The recipe I was using was 1 c. borax, 1 c. super washing soda, 1/2 cup salt, and 10 to 20 drops of essential oil, and you can add g.s.e. if you have it.
After a while, it seemed to leave a residue on our dishes, so I'm back to buying a quality brand of dishwasher soap(Seventh Generation). I don't know if it was the table salt I used the last time; maybe sea salt worked better.
Let us know how it goes for you.

Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:43 pm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:36 pm 

Still haven't tried the homemade version, but your homemade recipe sounds the same as the one I posted. One thing we do now which is NOT organic at all but which really works is to supplement our storebought dishwasher detergent. Even the "quality" brands like Cascade have all--by law--had their phosphate ingredient removed to make it greener. But that is making everyone think their dishwasher, even relatively new ones, is broken, b/c the dishes are not getting clean and the dishwashers are building up scum on the inside of their walls. A friend showed me documented articles about this problem. But this friend also told us we can go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy Trisodium Phosphate. It is only sold as a concrete and deck cleaner, but it's the very same stuff that was removed by law from dishwasher soap. We add a little regular dishwasher soap plus 1 teaspoon of this TSP to every dishwasher load, and now our dishwasher is no longer greasy inside and our dishes are coming out clean, too. (And BTW, the problem was not that we needed to add that little blue bottle (very toxic, too) of stuff you squirt into the hole for the rinse cycle to keep off spots.)

Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:12 pm

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:25 am 
Household items shouldn't break your spending budget. Try homemade detergents for the laundry and dishwasher and see how much you are able to save. They're certainly better than overpriced convenience squares that you pop in and end up forgetting. How to save money on laundry and dishwashing detergent? With basic household ingredients, you can save yourself even more money by making your own liquid dish soap. It’s an eco-friendly option, and it only takes minutes to complete.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:30 am 
We find that even the brand-name dishwasher detergent is very inexpensive when you use the "correct" amount! You only need one or two tablespoons of detergent in your dishwasher! That's right, and 1 tablespoon is almost always enough. Your dishes will come clean without any of that chalky residue. The big box of Cascade (155 oz) that we purchase at Sam's Club lasts us for one year! No kidding and we run our dishwasher an average of once per day. Our dishwasher is a 1997 model. If you have hard water you may need to use the 2-tablespoon amount more often, but not always. Today's dishwashers are so efficient that they don't need those both chambers filled with detergent. Save money and have cleaner dishes by using less detergent!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:12 am 

I found the the mixture listed below works efficiently as a home made dishwasher.
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
1/2 cup citric acid
1/2 cup kosher salt

Fill rinse agent compartment with white vinegar.

Thanks for posting and sharing the ideas.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:51 am